The photo from the 19th century provides a vivid illustration of the structural division of the former Wiesengasse, later renamed as “Kaiserstraße”. The meadow area called “Loretowiese” was accessed at the time directly via the Wiesentor, which first appears in documentation in 1449. But the photo also shows how drastic the condition of the streets was at the time. The squares and streets only began to be systematically cobbled and sewage installed from 1875 onwards. As the city grew rapidly beyond its historical boundaries the Wiesentor was soon considered a traffic obstruction and removed in 1878. Today only the Mittertor gate still bears witness to the city’s original access points.
Address, location: Kaiserstraße 15